Thursday, January 20, 2011

A tale of two Colombian hunters




Another coptic binding added to my collection of miniature books.

This one has a story and some illustrations. I used eraser stamps with alchemy designs and small pieces of decorated paste paper painted with pastel chalks.

The story is a tale I've always heard from my mother in Colombia.

"Two hunters were competing and trying to outsmart each other. One challenged the other to retell the best hunting episode. The other hunter agreed and said: 'I once went hunting and did not find any jaguars in the forest; so, I came across a waterfall and with my knife I slashed the waterfall in half.'
'That is nothing' said the first hunter. 'I was hunting in the same forest, and I saw a jaguar. When I got in front of it, he opened his jaws, and when he was about to eat me, I reached into the jaguar's mouth, grabbed his tail, and pulled him inside out."

No comments: